Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Just another night in paradise...

It's Monday...for me anyways. After having a glorious 6 days off I really wasn't looking forward to trudging to the salt mine. I did though just like I do any other Monday. I am lucky in many ways, because being a police/fire dispatcher and jailer in a small town isn't the busiest job. I am fortunate enough to hang out with all my friends in IM most of the time. I would probably loose what little mind I have left due to boredom if it weren't for those wonderful peeps that keep me amused (ya'll know who you are :D). After having a few days off, some things became glaringly apparent to me tonight, and you my wonderful reader get to read all about them.

First of all, I work in the same office as my Dh. For 2 weeks of the month, our shifts overlap, he's here till about 11pm. Normally this isn't a big deal, it gives us a chance at some adult conversation and to go over things concerning the kids out of their earshot (amazing how their hearing improves when you don't want them to hear you huh?). Other times though, I'd give just about anything to have one of us someplace else. For instance, the night before last we had some freezing rain/sleet move in that glazed the entire area in ice. Luckily I was at home and didn't have to work as the amount of slide off's and accidents was high. Unfortunately, my Dh worked. He does security patrols around our fair town and assists the officers when he can. So upon him crawling out of bed at 10 this morning I got to hear all about the dumbass that would not take his foot off the brake and kept sliding on the ice. I could definitely understand Dh's irritation with the fellow because he simply would NOT listen. I don't mind hearing what happens at work when I'm not here for the fact I am nosey. I also like to be one step ahead of the general public, I feel I'm entitled since I'm having to deal with it on a professional level. All that aside, I hear about several more slideoff's and a couple of accidents, then all about this guy that wouldn't take his foot off the brake. I knew I'd hear this all day so I hid, in my bed, under the guise of taking my before work nap. Fast forward to 6pm....walk in the door to the office and guess what I'm hearing at 6:15pm...yup about the putz that wouldn't take his foot off the brake pedal. I hear this roughly 5 more times until 10:30 when he went home tonight. Oy and he says I ramble...

Well in the middle of listening to that story for about the 3rd time, I realized it'd been awhile since I'd done our monthly test. I logged in and sure enough, in true SHE fashion I found myself 3 months behind in my monthly tests. Luckily the boss hadn't noticed it yet so thought I'd save him the trouble of leaving me a nastygram "reminding" me to get them done. Sounds like a great way of tuning him out or getting him out of my hair right? WRONG....Tickers....Who the hell came up with that grand idea. I don't mind taking the tests, they kill time and are sometimes interesting. What has made me dislike them more than Dh's ex-wife is the page tickers. Now I have always been a fast reader, probably always will be so when I have to wait a minute and a half to turn the page on this test it really annoys the begeebers outta me. Top that with the slide off story and I'm ready to go through the ceiling. Even worse, Dh noticed I was taking my tests and announced to me "Oh I know how those bore you because of that page lag, I'll keep you company." OH JOY!!! Of course I didn't say that but I did tell him that if he had something else to do I was really ok. I know he meant well but oh my, with PMS setting in, not the time. Luckily someone else came in and he went to bestow his story upon them.

Flash forward to about 3am.....I am bored, VERY bored and I go to flip through the tv channels. Why is it at 3 am it's all "male enhancement" commercials, insomnia commercials, and bed commercials? Oh and you can't forget the get rich quick commercials by any means. I guess they think people are loosing sleep because they aren't big enough, have insomnia, a bed that sucks, or they don't have oodles and gobs of money. GREAT......Just what I want to watch. All of my friends have long went to bed and I'm stuck with this muck. Makes me want to just strangle who ever actually obliges these marketers with "I'm SO glad I saw your commercial!" and buys this stuff.

Man I need to find more things to do at work.......

No comments: