Friday, December 19, 2008

Mad? Sad? ...but definately NOT glad

Am I mad? Am I sad? Right now I don't know and this just reminds me WHY I don't pay attention to the news half the time.

One of the first things on the NBC nightly news tonight was about the "Big 3" and their financial woes and the government's reactions. Ok while I agree that letting them go belly up would cause MAJOR repercussions throughout our fine country, I'm not a big fan of the government bailing their irresponsible asses out of dutch either. If you or I were to be THAT financially irresponsible at our jobs, we'd be out the door so fast that we wouldn't know which way was up or down. Asking the government to bail us out .....BWAHAHAHAHAHA. We might get a handful of food stamps, some medical help to cover our children (which I think we all deserve BTW), and MAYBE some cash assistance (I think it's called TANF, but don't qoute me on that. As for cold hard cash? Nope. A "loan" to tide us over? A snowball would have a better chance in hell. I don't know WHAT the answer to this particular problem is, but personally...I think a whole lot of downsizing, some major pay cuts for the executives (and the ones that were making the lousy decisions...hit the door buddy!), and restructuring of their orgainizations. That's just my humble opinion though, what do I know? I may not have a Ph.D, but I have a solid understanding of business and a whole lot of common sense. Oh and not to mention, first hand experience in operating a "business" (aka a home and small farm)on a frayed shoestring budget and not bellyflopping financially. Something those jokers (aka executives apparently don't possess en masse).

OH WTH?!?! On our local news, I just heard that they are "loaning" them 17 BILLION dollars...on the condition that they show that they can show that they can turn their financial condition around by March 31. If they can't? They have to pay their "loan" back. Ok WHERE IS THE LOGIC in that?!? If they prove that they can start making money and stay in the black they don't have to pay that "loan" back? Great....nice to see where my HARD EARNED tax dollars are going. Oh and for anyone that's thinking "Well go back to school to get a cushy job with great pay and quit yer bitchin."...shut up. I like being a blue collar middle class worker. While I DO have a menial office job, it's interesting sometimes and it makes a difference in our lil corner of the world. (Yes, you know who you are just as well as I do...as for the rest of my readers that are in the same boat as I am, hats off to you for all that you do.)

Back on track, later in the NBC newscast they were talking about the Operation Santa program that the US Postal service has ran for the last 90 some odd years. I guess today it was brought to a screeching halt by some scrotebag sex offender that volunteered to answer a Santa letter. Luckily they got to him before he got his response mailed and are making changes to the program to try to prevent this from happening again. Gah some people just don't deserve the oxygen they breathe and the space they occupy in the universe. I know that's not very nice but ummm sorry, that's why I work in law enforcement. Be thankful I'm not a judge, and if you EVER commit a crime in my county...pray I'm not on your jury because I sincerly believe in public hangings, the death sentence, and in certain cases, I'm not above believing in torture. After telling of that, they switched gears with the story. They interviewed a postal worker that volunteers to read and answer Santa letters. While every year they get some kids (and parents) asking for help with warm clothing, jobs, food for Christmas dinner, basic kind of stuff SO many of us take for granted, this year it has been especially bad. Heartbreaking from some of the excerpts they read on the air. I'm not a cryer, but I was sitting here, signing into Blogger, drinking my coffee, eating my triple decker peanut butter sandwich, crying and thinking about the bailout story that had ruffled my feathers minutes earlier. They go from $17 BILLION dollars in loans to THREE companies, to heartbreaking stories of children asking for jobs for their parents, warm clothing, heat for their homes, food for Christmas dinner, a little bit of security/peace for their troubled parents...is it just me or is there something SERIOUSLY WRONG here?!?

I will admit the welfare program raises mixed emotions in me, but if our government can grant $17 BILLION in loans to 3 companies, why do we have CHILDREN asking for basics? Now I know there are parents that are irresponsible, and will go and blow whatever money they have on crap when their kids need things like coats, heat, school supplies, whatever, but still... It's just crazy. It pisses me off. It makes me extremely sad. I almost want to emmigrate to another country.

We all need to contact our government officials and let them know how we feel about this. My poor state representative...he's always getting a piece of my mind and good heavens, the man must have a portfolio of letters from me. I've written a few to my other "elected" officials, but Don gets the bulk of it as I see him at least 3-4 times a week. On the other hand, that's why I voted for him & part what I'm paying him for...to listen to my gripes and try to change things. I have to admit, he and I don't always see eye to eye, but he listens to what I have to say and gives it a fair shake. I do the same with him. We have a mutual respect for one another, and my family is friends with his family. I really wish he'd run for Congress, but he doesn't want to at this point. He prefers to be closer to his family, friends and constituents, where he can see the changes happen locally. Can't blame him a bit, and I respect him all the more for it.

No comments: